The Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw was officially created in 1947, however it had already began to develop in 1944 when the Central Committee for Polish Jews established the Central Jewish Historical Commission. From the moment it was established the Institute has been located in the building of the Main Judaic Library, the walls of which survived the fire set by the Germans on May 16th 1943 during the destruction of the Great Synagogue at Tłomackie Street (today the Blue Skyscraper stands in its place). In 2009 the Emanuel Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute received the status of a national cultural institution.
Emanuel Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute
ul. Tłomackie 3/5
tel: (22) 827 92 21
fax: (22) 827 83 72
Underground: Ratusz-Arsenał Station
Buses: E-2, 107, 111, 171, 227, 410, 520 — Plac Bankowy stop
Trams: 4, 15, 18, 35 — Plac Bankowy stop